Sarah's Mullings and Musings

Friday, September 29, 2006

Northern Migration

I was talking to Ames last night and we were discussing my brother Mike, who's not taking any classes this semester. I asked her what he was up to, since he finally finished Dave's wedding present (a small collapsible table for picnics, isn't he creative?). Apparently Mike is fixing up the old Huntsville house, changing out wallpaper, repainting, etc. Apparently, there are going to be a whole lot of people coming to Huntsville in the spring. A Verizon company is coming down and will offer 13,000 new jobs (or something like that, Ames was a little fuzzy on the details). So Dad wants the house on the market by this spring/summer. As in 6-9 months. Does everybody have a shocked look on their face? Well, maybe not, some of you have never been to my house before. But I was shocked. This is the only home I remember. We moved when I was like 2, but otherwise, this is my home, the only one I've ever known. Which means this may be my last Christmas in Huntsville. *Sniff* Don't get me wrong, it will be fun having Christmas in Cooperstown with actual snow and everything. I just didn't expect this so soon. Mom always says they'll be moving up to Coop in like a year and a half, but according to Ames, Mom is in denial.

So I guess we should assume this'll be the last Christmas. Which means we'll go full out of course. All the traditional stuff, plus the Christmas Eve coffee we haven't had in a few years, due to various health problems. Whitney, consider this your invitation. I'm sure your whole family is invited, but I don't know if everyone can come because of Matthew. How will we see each other in the future, Whit?! We'll have to plan visits. And you need to get a job farther north than Alabama. That will be a big help. :)

2 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Oh, Sarah, that is big news! It will be good though. You've always wanted to be a Cooperstown girl at heart, and now you'll be able to. And maybe a nice new family will be able to get your house in Huntsville and start over. And then you can visit them, and feel the circle of life, and it will all be very inspiring.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

Hey Sarah,

Yeah, I know how the whole selling of the childhood home thing is a little traumatic. (of course, my parents still haven't sold theirs yet, but they've been trying for a while [before the storm, that is], so I still had to come to terms with it). It will be good, though, in the long run. You love Cooperstown so much, and it'll be good to have your parents closer to you in RI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home