Sarah's Mullings and Musings

Monday, February 12, 2007

Cure Your Winter Blues With an Irish Jig

Feeling blue? I know what can make you feel better: Irish music. Yep, I'm being serious. Friday night I went to a concert at the Fine Arts Center, where two people played Irish music for a couple of hours, and it was awesome. Liz Carroll (fiddle) and John um....something (guitar) are apparently known in the traditional Irish music world. I've been sick since last Wednesday or Thursday, but I really wanted to go to the concert, and I already had the ticket, so I went. It was so much fun! The pair alternated between Irish jigs and sad Irish ballads, which John would sing as he played. The two bantered back and forth and interacted alot with the audience, and it was one of the most entertaining concerts I've been to in a while. I bought one of their CDs, and if anyone is interested, I can burn them a copy.

That was pretty much my weekend, since I've got whatever crap is floating around campus. I had 3 students call in sick last week to lab, so I'm blaming all the undergraduates for my sickness. It sounds illogical, but really, 2 of my 3 classes are dominated by undergrads, and I teach about 60 undergrads a week, so I'm cool with laying all the blame on them.

On another note, I had my court date today. Traffic court that is. I ran a red light (not really, it was just the shortest yellow light ever, and turned red as my car passed directly underneath the yellow light, but whatever...), but if you have a clean driving record for the last 3 years, you don't have to pay a moving violation. Awesome right? I was excited. It seems to be a Rhode Island thing, I'm not sure if this exists in other states. Of course, I had to sit in the courtroom for like an hour and a half before it was my turn. I learned that a lot of people get tickets for going 5 miles over the speed limit. I kinda do that all the time, so I should probably watch that from now on. Cops in small towns tend to ticket for everything they can, out of sheer boredom.

I don't know if any of my friends watch Supernatural (Whit!) or Masterpiece Theatre (Mags!), but they were pretty interesting this week. Anybody interested in scary stories should watch Supernatural (my roommates refuse to watch it with me, but they're easily frightened), it's gotten better and better over the last few weeks. And MT was interesting last night. It was an adaptation of Dracula, and it was the loosest adaptation I've ever seen. They pretty much just kept the names and the fact that Dracula is a vampire and wrote their own plot. Still, it was interesting, there was a whole subplot where one of the characters has syphillis, and is told that Count Dracula can give him a transfusion and cure him of his affliction. Interesting how they likened vampirism to a disease that spreads and infects many people. Kind of like Ginger Snaps, where werewolfism (uh......yeah...that's a word.....now) is treated as a disease, with a possible cure.

I hope everyone's doing well and preparing to celebrate Valentine's / Single's Awareness Day in their own special ways. I'm celebrating by eating chocolate and watching Lost. Does anybody actually have exciting plans?

1 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

exciting plans? Um, no. I will also be watching Lost, and I think getting gelato or something. I kinda want to see music and lyrics, but it will be packed, so I am waiting. Hope you're feeling better. Sounds like the concert was cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home