Sarah's Mullings and Musings

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Progress?

So I went out with the Cap'n Bert Monday morning, and we did trawl up some squid, roughly 12-20 or so, but I couldn't get any blood out of them! They're tiny compared to the ones I worked with in Mexico, and their internal organs are all clear, so it's difficult to distinguish some of the anatomy. I still haven't caught any squid by jigging, and I'm tempted not to go tonight, but I feel like I at least have to try, if only to prove to my professor that I AM still trying to get samples. I'm going out on the trawl again next Monday, and Brad should be in tomorrow or Friday, so I'm gonna see if he has any pointers about collecting blood. In the meantime, I'm reading over the comments on my proposal that I got on Friday and making more changes to my proposal. If I can't get enough local squid samples, I hear that they will be back in October. But I'm not sure if I can finish in December if I still have to do a couple of experiments in October. I'd have to have a final copy of my thesis turned in by early November, so I may be here at least a couple months into the spring semester, or for the whole semester, who knows?

On a happier note, Ames is coming to see me for a few days next week! She and J.D. are going to NYC for a week and she's flying into RI Monday night so we can have a couple of days together before she goes to NYC on Thursday morning. So I'm excited about that, although I have no idea what my work schedule will be like for those days, since the rest of the lab should be getting back with the truck next Monday. I'll probably have to do some unpacking, and then play around with my equipment for my experiments. Oh, since Amy doesn't have a blog, I'll update for her. Amy's roommate Julia has moved back home, so Amy and J.D. have found an apt and are moving in together this week. So good for them!

Also, I'm reading this really good book by Maeve Binchy called Quentins. The book goes back and forth between Ella's life and the stories of people who are associated with the restaurant Quentins ( the owner, workers, customers, etc.) It's interesting, I think Mags and Caitlin would really like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home