Sarah's Mullings and Musings

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Crappy Day

Today has been a frustrating day. First of all, my whole week has been kinda screwed up. Monday I was supposed to go out on a trawl, but it was cancelled and nobody remembered to call me, so I was at the dock at 8:00 A.M., ready to go. Then yesterday was a holiday, which, it's just weird to have a holiday in the middle of the week. Then, today I go out on the trawl again, because it was rescheduled for today. Now, it's been beautiful weather lately, but of course it started raining last night and it has been gray and raining all day today. And the seas were rough. Well, technically, the Bay was rough, but that doesn't sound poetic enough. Anyways, right before we hit our first station, I lost my breakfast, which is just always fun to do on a boat. Then, of course, the trawl came up, and I just sort of stood back and let Kelly, the deckhand, get the squid for me, cause I was still feeling a little queasy, and going towards the nasty smelling sea life seemed like a bad idea. I only got blood from one squid today, but it was almost a whole sample's worth, so that's good, it's what I expected/hoped for. But, before the trip ended, some seagulls crapped on us, so that kinda made the trip complete. Plus, we were all cold and soaked from being on the boat.

Of course, now I have to take another shower and change clothes and eat something, because my stomach is empy. So I do all that, come back to work, and it's already 3:00. Where does the time go? I learn that my professor won't be in today or tomorrow, so I guess I should have asked him my questions on Tuesday and not left early to go to the bank that I thought closed at 4:00, but really closed at 3:00 (What kind of bank closes at 3:00 Mon-Wed!! But I digress...). Then, I check my emails and learn that some of my flight information has changed. I"m flying to Nebraska next weekend for my cousin's wedding (because apparently everybody is now getting married and having babies. Somehow I missed that memo.). I was supposed to leave Omaha at 9:15 AM on Monday, but my flight has now been changed to 5:00A.M.! And the airport is like 1 1/2 hours away from my grandma's house. So I call to see if I can change the time (which will probably cost me MORE money, f----ing airlines...). And it turns out that there's some bad weather, and they are only taking calls from people who are traveling in the next 24-48 hours. The rest of us need to call back later. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

3 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Paul said...

I was sorry to read that you got seasick. You're a trooper for going though - you must be a tough bunch over there.

(By the way, everybody's getting married and having babies. I just heard and I thought I'd better pass this on.)

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

:-( Poor Sarah. The wedding should be fun, though, right?

PS-two of my cousins had babies in the past 2 weeks. OY!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

I'm sorry, Sarah! That does sound like a rough week (though I don't know if you can really blame the Fourth of July for being on a Wednesday.) Other than that though, I am totally with you! Crappy weeks suck! But next week is guaranteed to be better! How can it not? :)

I got sick on a boat once. You're right. It's not fun. But at least you did get to use the ultra romantic "the seas were rough" line. I was swooning just reading it.

Have a great time at the wedding! Weddings are fun, remember? No bitterness! Love ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home