Sarah's Mullings and Musings

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Good Weekend

So last week was frustrating. I got the news that nobody was catching any Dosidicus on the cruise, we got bitched out at our T.A. meeting Thursday night (a long story I don't want to tell again. Let's just say there were some communication problems that needed to be worked out), and the analyses I tried to do on Thursday and Friday took three times as long as I hoped. Plus, the nice man who was helping me said some discouraging and frustrating things to me. He didn't mean anything by them, but everything sort of built up throughout the week, so I was very frustrated when Friday rolled around.

Luckily, I was not the only person who needed a break. I went to see the movie Dan in Real Life with some other grad students Friday night. It was really good. It's definately a romantic dramedy, a.k.a. a chick flick with deep moments. But, even though the plot felt familiar, the acting was really good. And there are some truly tender moments. Also a few really annoying moments. Like, if I had known Carol (Steve Carell's middle daughter) in real life, I think I would have killed her so she couldn't scream about her adolescent angst 24/7. Luckily, Juliette Bincoche and Steve Carell make up for the super annoying daughter.

Saturday night I went to a pot luck supper at Chessa's house. The night started out as an adventure (Chessa lives in the woods in the middle of nowhere, where apparently they don't belive in street lights. Or street signs.) But the evening was fun once I actually stumbled across the house. Dinner was good and definately eclectic (one girl doesn't like dairy, another was a vegetarian, so we had some interesting dishes). Plus, Chessa has a fire pit so we got to make smores and chase her huge black dog, Riley, around.

Plus I got more good news. First, I got my tickets to NYC for Thanksgiving (yay!! possibly my last one, since I have no idea where I'll be next Thanksgiving). Plus, Whitney called and told me she'll be home for a week in January, so I quickly changed my plans so I can stay another 5 days in Huntsville and see her. And my roommate Dipa had some credit with Southwest Airlines, so I saved some money on my tickets home for Christmas, although I do need to fly into Birmingham to get the savings. But that's okay because Amy is going to pick me up and we're going to do a Secret Santa/sleepover thingy with Amy's group of girls from Spring Hill. So it should be an eventful Christmas break. So basically, my awesome weekend made up for my frustrating week.

1 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

That sounds like it's going to be a great trip home! Between Thanksgiving, you will totally be recharged to whoop this grad school in the butt! And I don't like the nice man who said discouraging things. Nice men shouldn't say discouraging things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home