Sarah's Mullings and Musings

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Caitlin's Library Meme Thingy

K, I stole this from Caitlin, who stole it from somebody else.

bold = what you’ve read,
italics = books you started but couldn’t finish
crossed out = books you hated* = you’ve read more than once
blue text = books you own but haven’t read yourself

1. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell – no, but I want to, does that count?
2. Anna Karenina – good, but AK is really wishy washy, and I often found myself wanting to shake her and say " make a freakin decision!"
3. Crime and Punishment
4. Catch-22
5. One Hundred Years of Solitude
6. Wuthering Heights
7. The Silmarillion
8. Life of Pi: A Novel
9. The Name of the Rose
10. Don Quixote
11. Moby Dick - I couldn't make it all the way through the first time, but the second time I did and really enjoyed it.
12. Ulysses
13. Madame Bovary
14.The Odyssey -um, I'm pretty sure I've read this because of english and Latin classes..
15. Pride and Prejudice - * many, many rereads
16. Jane Eyre - *
17. A Tale of Two Cities
18. The Brothers Karamazov
19. Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
20. War and Peace
21. Vanity Fair
22. The Time Traveller’s Wife
23. The Iliad - ditto from The Odyssey
24. Emma -*
25. The Blind Assassin
26. The Kite Runner
27. *Mrs. Dalloway
28. Great Expectations
29. American Gods –
30. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius –
31. Atlas Shrugged –
32. Reading Lolita in Tehran
33. Memoirs of a Geisha
34. Middlesex
35. Quicksilver- never heard of this one?
36. Wicked : the life and times of the wicked witch of the West
37. The Canterbury Tales - I've definately read bits and pieces, so I'm counting it
38. The Historian
39. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
40. Love in the Time of Cholera
41. Brave New World
42. The Fountainhead
43. Foucault’s Pendulum - never heard of this one either...
44. Middlemarch
45. Frankenstein
46. The Count of Monte Cristo
47. Dracula -* must be read at 3 in the morning, with the lights out for the full effect
48. A Clockwork Orange
49. Anansi Boys
50. The Once and Future King - great book!
51. The Grapes of Wrath – loved it
52. The Poisonwood Bible
53. 1984 - doesn't everyone read this in high school?
54. Angels & Demons
55. The Inferno
56. The Satanic Verses
L57. Sense and Sensibility - *
58. The Picture of Dorian Gray
59. Mansfield Park
60. One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest
61. To the Lighthouse
62. Tess of the D’Urbervilles
63. Oliver Twist
64. Gulliver’s Travels - I didn't hate the book, but by the end I did hate Gulliver...
65. Les Misérables
66. The Corrections
67. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
68. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
69. Dune
70. The Prince
71. The Sound and the Fury - it's hard work to read, but I really appreciated it after we'd talked about it in class and I actually understood what was going on
72. Angela’s Ashes
73. The God of Small Things
74. A People’s History of the United States : 1492-Present Day
75. Neverwhere
L76. A Confederacy of Dunces
77. A Short History of Nearly Everything - ah, the token science book. Haven't read this one, but I've read many other science books, do those count?
78. Dubliners
79. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
80. Beloved
81. Slaughterhouse-Five
82. The Scarlet Letter –* great book. Avoid the Demi Moore movie, as it completely effs up the ending
L83. Eats, Shoots & Leaves
84. The Mists of Avalon
85. Oryx and Crake : A Novel
86. Collapse : How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
87. Cloud Atlas –
88. The Confusion
89. Lolita
90. Persuasion
91. Northanger Abbey
92. The Catcher in the Rye - I didn't hate it, but I was the only one in my class who didn't love Holden and identify with him. I don't think I'd experienced enough teen angst yet. Maybe one day I'll reread it and like it.
93. On the Road - oossibly the only book I've started and not bothered to finish. Too hippie for me. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot.
94. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
95. Freakonomics
96. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
97. The Aeneid - again, ditto from The Odyssey and Iliad. I'm pretty sure I read all of them and translated bits and pieces in Latin, but they all kinda blend together...
98. Watership Down
99. Gravity’s Rainbow - hmm..another one I've never heard of..
100. The Hobbit
101. In Cold Blood
102. White Teeth
103. Treasure Island
104. David Copperfield -long, but I loved it! The drunk scene is amazing, and everyone should read it
105. The Three Musketeers

So...I've read 34 of the 105 books on the list. And most of the ones I've read are "classics" since I'm much better about reading those than I am about reading the latest craze books.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger spencer said...

I've read 20! I consider that a pretty good feat for me since none of those books involve Auburn or dragons. Of course, as the list only included books on the "tagged as haven't read" from that website, I guess that makes sense.

I bet my wife has read more than twice as many as me.

Viva la Roma!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home