Sarah's Mullings and Musings

Monday, November 13, 2006

Happy Veteran's Day!

Happy Veteran's Day everybody!

Why, you may ask, am I celebrating Veteran's Day today instead of Saturday (the actual day) or Friday (the observed holiday)? Well, apparently little Rhody has to be different from the rest of the country. Rhode Island observes Veteran's Day today. (This is also the only state in the nation that still celebrates VJ Day, now referred to as VE day). Now, this isn't a huge deal, the office is closed today and the library on the other campus is as well. What is annoying is the fact that I was supposed to meet with a guy who could help me do some blood work this morning, and it was only after I called the lab 3 times that I realized that they must have taken today off. At this rate, my research will never be finished!

On a completely different note, I heard a neat vet's story on the radio on Saturday, so I thought I'd share it. There was a vet who had been a professional pianist, but he was injured in the war (I forget which one he fought in) and lost his right hand. Obviously this was devastating for a pianist. But he didn't give up. Instead, he commissioned composers to write music for the left hand only, and he would perform with orchestras, always playing with just his left hand at the piano. I thought that was a pretty amazing story, a good pick me up, and can't we all use one?

Oh, and for my reading friends out there. Thornton Wilder (he wrote Our Town) can also write novels. I just finished The Eighth Day and it was really good, showing different times and points of views. I definately recommend it.

4 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

Hey,

The banks here were closed for Vet's Day, so it's not just RI

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

So were our schools :)

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

It's not the fact that it was closed (I know all schools and some businesses close for Vet's Day). It's the fact that they closed on Monday, instead of Friday when Veteran's Day is observed in the rest of the country. Actually, it was confusing, because some businesses were closed on Friday instead of Monday. RI is just weird....

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

no, i mean ours were closed on Monday, not friday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home